Day22 – Zoagli

Life has its ups and downs, and today it took a downhill turn. This vacation couldn’t stay heavenly forever. The wheel of fortune keeps turning. But first we had a lovely breakfast sitting outside at Canepa’s 1863. All was going well.

We walked up to via Panettiera to deliver some gifts to our relatives Patrizia and her mother Claudia. Unfortunately, we couldn’t visit with them because Claudia is in the hospital in Lavagna with Parkinson’s. She has been in a coma, although now conscious, and is not doing well. We are disappointed but understand given our recent experience with Dad.

We left Rapallo for our next stop in Zoagli, a 4-minute train ride away. My heavy luggage made this 4-minute journey difficult, as we had to carry it up a flight of stairs to the right train platform then get it on the train.

When the train arrived, I struggled to get the bags on board, up the high steps of the train. A couple of young girls pressed behind me, and I told them to go ahead because I was taking some time, but they refused. So I continued to struggle, then suddenly they started to help me, along with a large older woman who lifted up my bag as if there was nothing to it.

Extremely grateful, I thanked her profusely then noticed she had a little baby hanging from a cloth in front of her bosom. “Imagine!” I thought, “This woman is so kind. She went out of her way to help me even though she is carrying this little baby. How sweet and generous!”

I first noticed my camera was gone in Zoagli when we arrived at our apartment. I thought I might have left it in Rapallo at the last place we stayed. But then I saw my wallet was gone too! #%!$.

What I lost to the gypsies:

3 bank cards, my Kaiser card, about 250 Euros, my US SIM card, my camera, AND my photo card with the images from this trip. Thankfully I have been sending photos along day by day, otherwise all of them would be gone.

There’s more loss: my sense of security. That feeling of being violated takes a while to wear off.

What remains:

My passports, my iPhone, my glasses (both sun and regular.) So it could have been much worse, and for what remains, I am grateful. Also for sister Cheryl, who helped make those onerous calls to the banks to block the cards and who is fronting me for the rest of the trip.

She also tried the local ATM to make sure she could get funds. After a couple of failed tries, it worked. Whew!



Scroll to Top